🐸My Etsy Sh🌎p🐸

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Confessions of a Mom Workaholic

 I have had a job since I was 11 years old. I babysat for the summers to buy those super cool but slightly more expensive school clothes.

I worked two jobs while I was in college, because my parents couldn't afford to help me.

When I found out that I was pregnant with my first child, I took on a 2nd job as a hostess at a local restaurant to pay for all the "baby stuff".
 I didn't want to work when I had my children, but I guess it wasn't in the budget for us to go down to one income. But I worked as little as possible and still maintain our lifestyle, so that I could be at home with my girls.
When my marriage came to an end and I found myself a single mom, I took a position as an assistant director of a preschool. I was working and I could see my girls all the time. I took paperwork home and did it after they went to bed.

When I did my book tour, I mostly traveled when the girls were in school as to not miss those precious waking moments. I wanted to hear about who likes who and who wore what conversations.

As my girls got older, gained their independence, and started doing their own thing, I found myself working a second job again to help pay for those "extra" things like homecoming dresses and basketball uniforms and, yes, slightly more expensive school clothes (for them!).

My priority has been time (precious time!) with my girls. I know not everyone has that luxury. I consider myself blessed to have had flexible hours. I do put in 12, sometimes 15 hour days now. I sometimes sew for 12 hours a day, but I am accessible to anyone that needs me.

Yes, I am a Mom Workaholic, but being a mom part comes first.

Have a fun and playful day
Mel

No comments: