🐸My Etsy Sh🌎p🐸

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Developing language and vocabulary skills through play

I love to take a handful of random toys and say, tell me a story.

Today, it was 4 monkeys, a moon play mat, and a McDonald's happy meal toy How To Train Your Dragon toy.

G, age 5, made up an elaborate story about space monkeys living and playing on the moon then a space monster came and are them but spit them out because space monkeys don't taste good and they became friends.

Little sister, Roo, age 2, then parroted the story, adding some of her own details.

This 10 minute activity develops language and builds vocabulary. AND it's just plain fun!

"Tell me a story..." is an invitation to play. If your child can't think of something, then you should model or tell your own story. Keep it simple. Have a beginning, middle, and end. Make it fun. Then say, now you tell me a story.

Have a fun and playful day

No comments: