🐸My Etsy Sh🌎p🐸

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Quotes Quilt

 My daughter is graduating high school in May and I am so happy and so sad at the same time.  She is going away to college and she is the Rory to my Lorelai - we are the Gilmore Girls.  We laugh, we eat, we watch movies, we talk, we snuggle up and watch Chicago Fire.  :)

She is a wonderful person - yes, I am a little bias - but people tell me that all the time.  She is smart and beautiful and hard-working and so-not-an-athlete, but I couldn't be prouder.  When I was trying to come up with a graduation gift, I was just at a loss.  Then...the idea of a Quotes Quilt grew in my head.
 She loves quotes.  She has them on her wall.  She has the on her Pinterest boards and Instragram and in her art journals.  It is a mix of favorite quotes, movie lines, song lyrics.
 I was off this week, so...made it this week and hope to keep it a surprise for graduation, but if she sees it, it's okay, too.  (Trust me, she doesn't visit here)
 "I am beautiful in my own way, because God makes no mistakes."
 Yes, there are quotes from Harry Potter and Pitch Perfect and Winnie the Pooh and Maya Angelou and Bible scripture.
 So I bought the different fabrics on Monday and Tuesday, layed it out on Wedneday and sewed together.  On Thursday, I wrote all the quotes on - which took longer than it did to sew it.  Mainly because I was a sobbing idiot.  Some of the quotes are so touching, so "us".
 I want her to take this quilt to college and if she is feeling sad or discouraged or is missing home, then she can read it and find warmth and comfort and a part of home.
 "You were given this Life because you are strong enough to live it" - I think this quote is so true with some of the things she has gone through in the past year.
 Above are lyrics to a Jason Aldean song...don't back up, don't back down...dig a little deeper when you thing you can't dig no more...It's the only way I know.  She is a country girl at heart.
 The best part is...she isn't going to have a guest sign in book at her graduation party.  Guests - family and friends - will sign the back of the quote with words of encouragement and hope and fond memories.



 "Clear eyes Full hearts Can't Lose" is from her favorite show Friday Night Lights.
 There are even quotes from Mr. Feeny from Boy Meets World (we love that show in this house!)
 It was a labor of love.  My life, her life, our lives will dramatically change in the fall.  I hope that I have been a good enough mother to her, have given her the tools that she needs, and pray that she is happy and safe and loved and successful.
I will be finding reasons to visit and send care packages frequently :)  But a little bit of me will be with her wherever she goes.  Graduation will be here before we know it.  The gift is done and now I need to focus on party invites, decorations, and flowers.  It's been an amzing journey this thing they call childhood - for me and for her.  I have grown up and learned as much as she has.  I cannot wait to see what she does next.  Whatever it is, it will be amazing.

No comments: